by Dave Zornow
Ad sales people and researchers are always looking for compelling stories on how advertising is effective — and something a smart marketer can’t do without. Here’s a story which proves that point to retailers — using their own words and emotional outrage.
The Village of Haverstraw, NY passed a local ordinance banning cigarette Point-Of-Sale Advertising beginning in October 2012. And the retailers and their trade groups went ballistic. Retailers and their trade groups cried foul in Big Implications for a Little Village’s Ban, a convenience store trade publication article about new regulations passed this Spring to ban tobacco advertising in convenience stores in the Lower Hudson Valley Hamlet Northwest of New York City.
If advertising didn’t work, why would they say things like…
- “The Village of Haverstraw in New York’s Rockland County sent shockwaves through the convenience store industry by passing a tobacco display ban–the first of such bans in the United States.” — Tobacco E-News on CSPnet.com, a trade publication for the convenience store industry.
- The president of the New York Association of Convenience Stores called the new law “breathtakingly absurd” and asserted that retailers have a right to advertise products to their customers on their own premises.
- “By prohibiting the display of tobacco product packages so that they are kept out of the public’s sight, the Haverstraw ordinance is, for all intents and purposes, banning the advertisement of tobacco products.” — Thomas Briant, executive director of the National Association of Tobacco Outlets (NATO)
There’s a sales expression which says “people buy on emotion — and justify with facts.” It’s great to have a convincing research deck to set the stage for an account exec to close new business. But what could be better than an example of client’s screaming bloody murder because they *weren’t* allowed to advertise?
John Wanamaker once famously said, “Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don’t know which half.” He would be happy to know that the tobacco retailers of New York State seem pretty damn sure they know the answer to that question.
- Big Implications for a Little Village’s Ban, CSPnet.com. 4/23/2012
- Lung Association Praises Village of Haverstraw for Passing Landmark Law Limiting Retail Tobacco Displays, 4/17/2012
- Federal Court Rules Worcester, MA, Tobacco Ad Ban is Unconstitutional,” National Association of Tobacco Outlets 4/2/2012
- May 2011 proposed resolution from POW’R to ban tobacco advertising in Haverstraw, NY
- New York Town Bans Tobacco Displays at Retail, Convenience Store News 4/19/2012
- John Wanamaker, Wikipedia
Photo Credit: CigarettesReporter.com
As sure as a gun, there are some matters you should think about your soundness. Happily, there are online pharmacy where you can get remedies comfortably. Online drugstores provides discount prescription drugs and vitamins. Several medications are used to treat symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, such as stiffness. The remedy is used together with other medications to treat symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. Cialis is the best-known medicament for helping men to sustain an erection. If you’re concerned about erectile disfunction, you have to talk to your doc about http://www.cialis.com. What patients talk about cialis.com? Medicaments, unconditionally, is going to improve your breath. Is it earnest? Let’s see. Several people take more medications later in existence and some have sexual side effects that will lead to erectile dysfunction. Hormones fuel sex drive. What is the most momentous facts you have to regard know about this? Sometimes medicines may interact with the generic, including prescription vitamins. Not all probable interactions are listed in standard treatment guide. Discuss your health with your dispenser to ensure that you can use this medicament. The more details you can provide, the better able your physician will be to help.